Saturday, November 28, 2015

I Have a Dream


Martin Luther King Jr. gave his "I Have a Dream" speech on August 28, 1963 during the March on Washington. He gave the speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial to a crowd of 250,000 demonstrators. In his speech he called for an end to racism in the United States. Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech was a defining moment of the American Civil Rights Movement. He starts his speech off with reference to the Emancipation Proclamation and how even one hundred years later the black man is still not free. 


Martin Luther King Jr. described his dreams of freedom and equality from a land arising from slavery and hatred. This speech was shown to have several versions written at several different times. The "I Have a Dream" speech was drafted with the assistance of Stanley Levison and Clarence Benjamin Jones. 
Mahalia Jones a gospel singer shouted "Tell them about the dream Martin" and that is when he stopped his prepared speech and started to preach and he started punctuating his points with "I have a Dream." 


Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech was ranked top American speech of the 20th century in 1999. 


"I Have a Dream" Speech













Citation:
"I Have a Dream." Wikipedia. N.p., Oct. 2015. Web. 28 Nov. 2015.



Photo Credit:
http://thesource.com/2014/01/20/10-standout-quotes-from-martin-luther-king-jr-s-i-have-a-dream-speech/
http://hereandnow.wbur.org/2013/08/26/mlk-dream-speech
http://abcnews.go.com/US/things-make-dream-famous-speeches-history/story?id=20068795

No comments:

Post a Comment